Blog Photo

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

An Interview with a Fashion Mentor


I have shared on my blog about my "elegant distant mentor" Carolina Herrera. I think she is so chic. I love reading her interviews and watching them on Youtube. I wanted to share a recent interview I read from The Wall Street Journal about Carolina and input on etiquette.


Every morning: I take a walk in the [Central Park] Reservoir for one hour. I wear tennis shoes but not exaggerated ones. I wear Keds.



Carolina Herrera


I have my breakfast: in bed with my dog by my side. He has his own food, but I always give him a little something.

One thing I wear every day is: my Verdura watch from the ’40s. But this summer, when traveling in Italy, I wore the most beautiful white Swatch. It was divine. You can do whatever you want and not be afraid someone will steal it. (Wow she wears a watch from the 40's, just wonderful....)




The vintage and classic Verdura watch that she wears.







My fashion pet peeve is: how people dress at the airport. It’s terrible. You know, if you dress up at the airport you will actually be taken care of perfectly. You’ll be the one who the stewards look after the most.
I organize my closet with: all the skirts together, blouses together, evening together, same lengths together, all the same hangers.
When a bride asks for made-to-order dresses, I insist: that she come alone. If a girl comes in with her family and best friend she lets them influence her too much. It’s one of the most important days in her life. She should be able to wear what she wants.
The secret to aging gracefully is: knowing what looks good on you at all ages. If you try to dress in a young way when you’re old, you’re going to look even older. Shorts, for example, are for young people with lovely legs.

Carolina's studio
I don’t eat: junk food. If someone puts potato chips in front of me, I’ll probably eat a little, but I’m not one of those people who goes to buy them.
My favorite restaurants in New York are: La Grenouille and Indochine. La Grenouille is the more beautiful; it’s like being in a garden, full of flowers. It’s a civilized place where you can have a conversation.
I am a maniac about: setting tables and making beds. Both have to be perfect, my mother taught me that. I like linens from Schweitzer, D. Porthault or Pratesi.
My obsession of the moment is: Netflix. I’ve been watching “Scandal” and a British series called “Midsomer Murders.”
I’m currently reading: Edna O’Brien’s book of short stories, “The Love Object.” It’s so good! I like to read, it’s one of the things I do to distract myself.
One downside to digital 21st-century life is: there’s no privacy. I don’t mind if someone asks me to take a picture; it’s flattering. I tell them, “The photograph, yes, but the arm around me? No, please!” It’s invasive.
I love this interview. I agree with her on so many things. Especially about there being no privacy. I also enjoyed this interview by Leandra Medine from Man Repeller. Watch the interview below and see why I admire this woman. Oh, and I especially love the comment she makes about the Kardashians! 












(photos via Google and video via Youtube)


No comments:

Post a Comment